The pages of The Rough Guide to Science Fiction Film are coming back to me with the request to build an index for the book, and I just don’t have time at the moment to do it myself. So this is an ad: I need someone to create an index for my book. The gig entails going through every page of the book, noting names of filmmakers, films, studios & etc., and then entering them into an Excel document. It’s dead simple drudge work but it requires an eye for detail. The job would start NOW and would need to completed asap. I currently have seven chapters out of nine in formatted pdf form to work with; the other two chapters will come fairly shortly (this means as a bonus and a consequence of the work, you’d get a sneak preview of the book).
Payment: $10/hr. There will be a cap to the total payout (because I’m not made of money) which we can discuss. I don’t know if $10/hr is decent pay for something like this, but it’s what I can offer. Payment can be sent upon completion by personal check, money order or through Paypal.
1. Writing/editing experience vastly preferred (if you’ve ever created a book index, obviously, you jump to the head of the list). Please list recent references.
2. Access to a pdf reader (preferably one that will let you cut and paste text into an Excel document as this will save you an immense amount of time typing).
3. Access to Excel or a program that makes Excel-compatible spreadsheets.
4. The ability to work quickly and accurately with absolutely minimal supervision (which is to say I need this done in the next several days and don’t have the time to make sure you’re actually doing the job).
5. The ability to start immediately (i.e., Wednesday 6/2/05).
Naturally, in addition to getting paid I’d also place you in the acknowledgements of the book, and I’ll also send you your own copy.
This is a serious work request and it’s on a compressed schedule, so please don’t apply unless you have the time to do it now, the ability to work independently, and a copyeditor’s eye for detail.
How to apply: Send me an e-mail with your qualifications and your phone number, as well as when I can call to chat with you about the work; please note your time zone (don’t apply in the comment thread to this post — send an e-mail). Hopefully I’ll make a decision in the next day or so (for the record: It’s now 9:30 ET on 6/1).
Update, 12:04am 6/2/05 — The position is filled! Thanks to everyone who applied.