I was alerted by a reader that for some reason the site wasn’t coming through on iPads. I told her to check her iPad browser cache, but then I checked my own iPad and had the same problem. I think I’ve identified the culprit — WordPress has incorporated a flashy new widget that displays site on the iPad in an app-like design (whatever that means), and my version of it was turned on but not formatted, so iPad readers apparently got a blank screen. I turned it off and then the site loaded onto my iPad just fine.
So if you’ve been having trouble accessing the site via your iPad in the last few days, go ahead and try again. It should work now.