You all know my thoughts on this year’s pack of GOP candidates, but then I’m a known pinko commie socialist and am deeply unlikely to be voting for any of them. So: Can you articulate for me your own honest feelings about this election cycle’s slate of candidates? I am genuinely interested.
So that the comment thread actually produces the results I am interested in, let me lay down some comment thread rules.
1. This comment thread is for people who are US potential primary voters who identify as Republican and/or conservative (libertarian is also fine, if you see your libertarianism more aligned with general Republican/conservative principles and/or intend to vote in the GOP primaries). If you’re not any of these things, don’t comment, please. Seriously. We have enough politics back and forth on other threads; this one is not about that.
To amplify this point I will also stay out of the thread except in my capacity as site moderator.
2. For the purposes of this thread, please take as given that you likely believe the policies and practices of the Obama administration to be varying levels of bad, so it’s not on point to go on about that. I’m interested on your take on the actual candidates running for the GOP nomination and your thoughts on their individual pluses and minuses as well as on the group as a whole.
3. If you are a Whatever regular but don’t generally discuss politics and/or don’t want (for whatever reason) to out yourself as a Republican/conservative, go ahead and use a different name when you comment. I don’t mind.
4. Commenting between the people in the thread (who have already identified themselves as Republicans/conservatives) is of course fine but in general I’m more interested in people’s individual opinions regarding the candidates/group than I am in people trying to argue to others in the thread for their favorite candidate. So if you’d keep campaigning to a minimum and focus on the actual question, I’d be appreciative.
5. If you’re coming here from elsewhere and you’re new here, and have never posted a comment before, it might be worth it to read the site comment policy.
Okay, then. Republican/conservative readers, please tell me your thoughts on the candidates!