Because I think it will be interesting to do so, and because I think this sort of transparency might even be useful: Here’s a disclosure statement of past and current business relationships that I have, that I can publicly announce at this moment (there may be business relations I cannot yet disclose for contractual reasons; those will be announced when possible). “Business relationship” in this case means an employee or contract relationship, or a freelance relationship that went beyond single, discrete pieces of work (like a short story or newspaper/magazine article). This list is current as of June 12, 2014; I’ll update as necessary.
Current business associations:
* Subterranean Press, who publishes my limited editions and other specialized work.
* NBCUniversal, through its Universal Cable Productions and Syfy subsidiaries, where my novel Old Man’s War has been optioned for a television series.
* Legendary Pictures, where my novel Lock In has been optioned for a television series.
* Industrial Toys, with whom I am working on its upcoming video game Midnight Star.
* Aside from Heyne and Gollancz, I have business relationships with more than 20 other publishers around the world for foreign translations of my work.
Previous business associations (currently existing companies only):
* The McClatchy Company. I worked at its Fresno Bee newspaper (’91 -’96).
* AOL (when it was America Online). I was an in-house writer/editor (’96-’98) and then did freelance work (’98 – ’07)
* Paramount Pictures, which held the film option on my novel Old Man’s War.
* Baker & Taylor: I wrote and contributed to books offered by its Portable Press imprint.
* The Penguin Group: I wrote books published by its Rough Guides imprint.
* The Walt Disney Company: I worked on a project covered by an NDA.
* AMC Networks: I wrote a column for its Web sites.
* Ziff Davis Media: I wrote reviews and columns for its Official US Playstation Magazine.
* Cox Media Group: I wrote reviews and columns for its Dayton Daily News newspaper.
* Time Warner Cable: I created a video game review Web site for its Road Runner High Speed Online subsidiary.
In addition, I ran a writing/editing business called Scalzi Consulting, which undertook projects for various clients, including Sullivan & Company (a marketing group), Network Solutions, US Trust, Oppenheimer Funds and Warburg Pincus. Scalzi Consulting is currently dormant as I focus on fiction.