Quick Scalzi/Twitter FAQ
While (vaguely) on the subject of Twitter, a very quick FAQ on my presence on that service, since people have been peppering me with questions about it, and it’ll be good to have something to refer folks to later.
1. Are you on Twitter?
2.How often do you Twitter?
A couple of times a day, usually; sometimes more, sometimes less.
3. Can I follow you on Twitter?
Sure. Also, you don’t have to ask.
4. Why are you following only one person on Twitter? Because she was the person who sent me the invite and I never got around to following other folks. Then I got written up in the Wall Street Journal on the subject of Twitter and the fact I followed only one person became news of a sort, and now I kind of feel obliged. That said, I cheat a bit since I follow a few hundred Twitter feeds via Twitter’s list function. Adding the Twitter feeds there was the most convenient way to do it.
5. It’s rude not to follow the people following you on Twitter.
Update, 10/28/11: I decided it’s time to let go of following just one person and have moved the people on the list I read the most into the “follow” column.
Cool, will you follow me?
Generally speaking, I follow people I know in real life. Do I know you in real life? If so, then possibly. If not, then probably not.
6. Do you respond to responses from your Twitter followers?
I respond to some but not all. I get a fair number of responses.
7. Do you mind if I ReTweet something you twittered?
Not at all; please do.
8. Do you twitter from your browser or do you use special software?
I tend to use TweetDeck, since it has a lot of features I like. On my Blackberry I use the Twitter mobile web interface; I’m aware there are standalone Twitter programs for the phone but I haven’t liked them so far.
9. Do you have any deep thoughts about Twitter as a communication medium?
Sure; they’re here.
10. Hey, did you know your cat is on Twitter?
Yes, and no, I don’t write that Twitter feed. I have no idea who does. Pretty sure it’s not the actual cat.
Any additional Scalzi/Twitter questions, leave them in the comment thread and I’ll get around to answering them.