A Veritable Festival of White Hot Linkages (and Stuff)
Hey! There’s a lot of stuff I’ve been meaning to link all y’all to this last week, but I’ve been busy doing other things. Secret things. Things that if you knew what they were, they would change the way you look at the world forever.
Okay, I’m lying, I’ve just been spending hours admiring all the new flooring in the house. Because it’s so pretty. But I’m over that now, so here are some links for you.
1. Mary Anne Mohanraj asked me to let you all know about this writer’s grant:
The deadline for the Speculative Literature Foundation’s Older Writers’ Grant is fast approaching! The grant of $750 is available to any writer of speculative literature of 50 years or older at the time of application who is just beginning to work professionally in the field. There are no restrictions on the use of the grant money.
Applicants are asked to submit a brief autobiographical statement, a writing sample, and a bibliography. For full details on how to apply for the grant, please see the SLF web site (http://www.speculativeliterature.org/Grants/SLFOlderWriters.php), or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by March 31st 2010. The successful applicant will be announced on June 1st 2010.
If this could apply to you, consider applying.
2. The alumni of the Alpha SF/F/H Workshop for Young Writers are doing a fundraiser so that other teenagers will be able to get workshop experience and mentoring from top-name science fiction and fantasy writers. To help with their goal, they’re posting an adorable little picture book about love and zombies (of course!) called Ned & Jane. Where? At NedAndJane.com, of course. Check it out and if you enjoy it, considering chipping in to help them reach their $2,500 goal by April 30.
3. This from agent Colleen Lindsay:
Our good buddy Alan DeNiro is hitting the road down South and is trying to use his book tour to raise money for Mercy Corps and their efforts to aid in Haiti’s earthquake relief.
Details here: http://bit.ly/9egPak
And thanks in advance!
4. My excellent friend Chris Barrus has a new band called the ExDetectives, and their music is full of shoegazy goodness. Have you had any shoegazy goodness today? And don’t give me that “Oh, I gave up shoegaze for Lent.” Seriously, who does that. I’m ashamed you even tried that line on me. Look, go to the ExDetectives site, listen to the music there, and if you like it, their EP is available on iTunes and on Amazon.
5. Justine Larbalestier thinks this guest post on her site by Alaya Dawn Johnson about book covers and racism should be read by lots of people. And I agree. So there you are.
There, that should be enough for your linkable enjoyment today.