Your Holiday Book Suggestion List (From Authors)
Hey, folks! Looking for the perfect book for people you like/love or in some way obligated to? This will be the place to get suggestions. I’m inviting book authors to post in the comment thread here to tell you about their works, which you can then go and purchase at your favorite bookstore. It’s just that easy! Now, hold on a second while I talk to the authors, okay? Thanks.
Authors: I have up to 45,000 readers here on a daily basis! Some of them will be shopping for books this holiday season! Tell them about yours in the comment thread!
Here are the rules to post:
1. Authors only, books only. There will be another pimp thread for other things, early next week. Any type of book is fine: Fiction, non-fiction, etc. If you are not the author of the book you’re posting about, don’t post. This is for authors only (edited to add: Anthology editors may promote their anthologies).
2. Your book(s) must be in print and available on a returnable basis at bookstores and at the following three online bookstores: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell’s. This is so people can find your book when they go looking for it. If your book isn’t available as described, wait for the other pimp thread next week.
3. One post per author. In that post, you can list whatever books of yours you like (as long as it meets the criteria in point 2), but allow me to suggest you focus on your most recent book. Note also that the majority of Whatever’s readership is in the US/Canada, so I suggest focusing on books available in North America.
4. Keep your description of your book brief (there will be a lot of posts, I’m guessing) and entertaining. Imagine the person is in front of you as you tell them about your book and is interested but easily distracted.
5. You may include a link to a bookseller if you like by using standard HTML link scripting. Be warned that if you include too many links (typically three or more) your post may get sent to the moderating queue. If this happens, don’t panic: I’ll be going in through the day to release moderated posts. Note that posts will occasionally go into the moderation queue semi-randomly; Don’t panic about that either.
6. Comment posts that are not from authors promoting their books as specified above will be deleted, in order to keep the comment thread useful for people looking to find interesting books.
Got it? Excellent. Then tell the folks about your book! And tell your author friends about this thread so they can come around as well. Now, I’m going to talk to the other folks again.
Other folks: Hey, it’s me again. Enjoy the book suggestions and hope you find something you like. The authors, I’m sure, thank you for your consideration. And so do I.