What’s On Tap for 2014
You ask: So, John, what’s the plan for 2014? Well, since you’ve asked (“you” in this case being “the stand-in for actual people who lives inside my head”):
THINGS THAT ARE DONE
* Midnight Star, the video game I helped create, is currently in beta-testing and on schedule to be released in 2014, probably in the first half of the year.
* Just before Midnight Star is released, its accompanying graphic novel Midnight Rises, which I wrote (and which is illustrated by Mike Choi), will also be out.
So: A novel, a graphic novel and a video game, all out in 2014. Not a bad schedule of releases.
THINGS TO WHICH I AM CONTRACTUALLY COMMITTED
* I will be writing the follow up to The Human Division, very likely in the same episodic format as that novel. THD2 (which will not be the title, obviously) will be released in 2015; no specific dates yet.
* I’ll be recording a song with Paul & Storm for their album of cover songs called Extra Balls, as part of their Kickstarter commitment. We haven’t decided on the song, nor do we have a specific recording date set yet. I don’t know their release schedule, but I assume it will be in 2014.
* Also, as another part of the P&S Kickstarter thing, I’ll be writing a short story based on one of their songs. This will likely be a short-short. It will also likely be a funny piece. Also probably 2014.
PLACES I HAVE SAID I WILL BE, AND SOME OTHER POSSIBLES
* Appearances that I have definitely committed to are covered in my Scheduled Appearances page and include Detroit (twice), Seattle and San Francisco.
* Appearances that are sort of penciled in but not entirely confirmed yet include Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and London. There are a few others that are possibles but still tenuous enough I won’t mention them by name. If/when these get confirmed I’ll note them here and put them on the Scheduled Appearances page.
* I’m talking to Tor about a tour for Lock In. At this point it’s just talk. If we do it, I’ll note it here and let you know what the itinerary is (please note that we’re not taking requests at this time).
* I have at least one. Obviously, I can’t tell you about it/them. That’s why they’re called “seekrit projects.” I will announce them when they are announceable, promise.
THINGS I AM THINKING ABOUT FOR 2014, NON-CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGED DIVISION, MOST OF WHICH WON’T NECESSARILY GET DONE, BUT HEY, WHY NOT BE AMBITIOUS
* A science fiction-oriented novella.
* A dark fantasy novella.
(Don’t rush to the e-mail, editors: If I do these, they already have homes.)
* A non-sf/f YA novel I’ve been thinking about for a while.
(This one you can rush to the e-mail for, editors.)
* A graphic novel adaptation of one of my existing works (“The God Engines” is what I’m leaning toward).
* A new book on writing.
Everything in this list is theoretical, and contingent on a number of factors. I will note that there are things not on this list I can see myself doing in 2014, but I don’t note them here in no small part because they would be contingent on other people, and I have no control over any of that. This is the stuff I do have control over, i.e., all it takes for most of these is me deciding to write.
AND IN A GENERAL SENSE, I’D LIKE TO DO THESE THINGS IN 2014
* Do a better job organizing my time, with particular emphasis on Internet management, because, damn, the Internet, you know?
* Maybe exercise a little more because I’m a middle-aged dude, which means entropy is having its way with me more than I would like.
* Learn to play my guitar better.
* See friends more and do a little more family stuff.
* Take more and better naps.
So that’s 2014, in theory. Let’s see how it works in practice.