Well, that was a year, wasn’t it: a dark cloud of crap with a silver lining in the November elections. I’m kind of hoping it represented the bottom and that 2019 sees us clawing our way back toward the light, but, well. We’ll see, won’t we.
In the meantime, here’s a collection of some of my best pieces here on Whatever this year, if you missed them the first time, or just want to relive them in all their glory. It’s relatively light on pieces specifically about Our Dim President, because 2018 was the year I more or less said “How many different ways can I say he’s bigoted, incompetent crook?” and chose not to write about him in any great detail. Nevertheless he shows up here and there. He’s part of the landscape, he is.
(Also, the piece featuring Neil DeGrasse Tyson was written well prior to the sexual harassment and assault allegations about him coming into general view; it certainly puts a different spin on things. 2018, man.)
The pieces here are in alphabetical, not chronological, order:
- Art and Entertainment and Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- The Fall(?!?!?) of Heinlein
- Four Views of the Same Short Story
- The Gamification of Rhetoric
- Incels and Other Misogynists
- An Interview With Santa’s Lawyer
- Meet Keith Johnson
- Nanette, Hannah Gadsby and Me
- No, In Fact, You Should Not Write For Free
- Notes and Advice from a Book Tour
- Personal Politics
- Private Lives in a Public Era
- The Reputational Reset, Or Not
- Some Observations on Bestseller Lists, December 2018
- Thoughts on A Wrinkle in Time
- Trump is a Racist. Stop Pretending Otherwise.
- Who’s Cool and Who’s Not
And to end on a goofy note, meet my parrot son. It was good to get a little goofy in 2018, from time to time.